Sunday, July 5, 2009

An alternative to classic chickpea hummus: white beans with avocado

Have you ever wondered why does time pass faster when you don’t want it to pass fast? It’s already July, and I almost haven’t realized it. Thanks to everybody for you words after my disappointment with the job. I suppose you are right: I will find something better =)

There is a heat wave in Spain now. At this moment, I think that it would be colder in an oven than outside. I don’t know how does people survive in the Sahara, but I don’t envy them. My father has been struggling with the air conditioning, but it has been a waste of time: the temperature is still so high that we even had to put the chocolate in the fridge to prevent it from turning in an almost done hot chocolate.

My mother told me that I was born in 30’ minutes, and I think that such a fast birth affected me, my brain and my common sense, because today I went running at 5 p.m., during almost one hour, at 32ºC. Nevertheless, I have survived, and now I am sitting in front of the laptop, in the living room (I escaped from my tiny bedroom at its stifling atmosphere), next to the fan (it’s better than nothing, although I have the feeling that it only moves the hot air) and sweating buckets (after finishing the post I will dash off for a shower), but very happy.  Some people don’t understand why I love running, they say it’s a torture, but for me the endorphin injection after it worth all the effort. I also love the feeling of the blood moving through the veins and the heart bombing it. It makes me feel alive =)

Now, it’s enough of talking about running, and let’s talk about food. After all, we need food to run, to cycle, to walk your dog or even to move your fingers to type on the keyboard (in case is the only exercise  you do). The problem is that when it’s hotter than in the hell (I have never checked it personally, though, if you are wondering), the last thing you want to is to be near the stove. Actually, the last days I forgot about my morning oat porridge, and substituted it with cold granola (it was the first time I did it and I burned it) and green smoothies. But because I am not a raw vegan, although I tried to go high raw for a time, I can’t survive on smoothies, and my body also craves some protein.  The solution? Delicious, creamy, highly nutritious and the best of all, cold, hummus. You can even do it without turning on the stove, just opening a can….although with such a heat wave I think that it would be enough to make you sweat.






White bean avocado hummus
This time I wanted to try an alternative to the classic chickpea hummus, and I chose white beans. Just plain they have a creamy texture, but to give them more creaminess I also added avocado, but left outside the tahini (mainly because I didn’t have any). Nevertheless, I thought that it needed some nutty touch, and I threw a little bit of peanut butter …and of course, olive oil for the fatty acids (and extra flavor).  I encourage you to try different versions, substituting the white beans with black beans, kidney beans, cannellini beans or why not, chickpeas. Serve with diced avocado on top.

From: my own creation


Ingredients:
-1 cup of cooked white beans
-1 ripe avocado
-2 Tablespoons of peanut butter
-2 Tablespoons of olive oil
-Salt and pepper to taste
-Water as much as needed

If using uncooked beans, soak them overnight and cook during one hour or more. If not, just open the can ;)

Put half of the beans in the food processor and add a little bit of water. Puree until smooth

Add all the other ingredients slowly, adding as much water as needed during the process. Adjust the water to the desired consistency (I like my hummus on the fluid side)




Last Friday I had to do some passport photos because I didn't have any and I needed them for the school fees. I'm not photogenic at all, but it could have been worse.


2 comments:

Alisa@Foodista said...

That is creative! Love how you made this recipe all your own :)Lookin good!

iRaw said...

This looks real good!