Friday, June 5, 2009

101 cookboks "Ultimate Veggie Burger" recipe



Today I did the last exam of the year! I still can’t believe it. Nevertheless, we still have to go to school until next Wednesday, because the inspector decided it (so next week is going to be a real loss of time)

Last weekend I managed to cook a couple of recipes from 101 cookbooks, one of my favorite food blogs. The first of them was Giant Chipotle Beans recipe, which I will post next time, Simple Cauliflower and Ultimate Veggie burger recipe.  I know that achieve a good veggie burger is not as easy as it seems. You must find the right proportions, or the burger will be drier than a shoe sole, or on the contrary, so moist that it will fall apart.

To avoid those dry, “bready” burgers, is to use them as a bun. Cook the patty as you would do, and cut it lengthways, using the filling you like the most. I didn’t do that because my patties turned too thin (my fault), but I solved the problem covering it with lots of ketchup and avocado (but any sauce would have worked). I also tried something more unusual: I topped the burgers with some of the Giant Chipotle Beans stew which I cooked along with the burgers. The stew must be cooked in the oven or two hours, and it was so moist (but no overcooked) and tender that it served as a sauce. Unfortunately, I didn’t do photos of that version, so all you will see are my veggie burgers covered with tons of ketchup (and mustard). Not as elegant, but very tasty too.  

Now that I finished the classes, I suppose I will have time more time to cook and write in the blog. Nevertheless, I hope I won’t have so much free time, because I want to find a job soon.  I’m keeping my fingers crossed, because I will need a lot of luck. You know….a crisis is a very opportune time to find your first job. 



Ultimate Veggie Burger Recipe

From 101 cookbooks

I followed almost completely Heidi’s recipe. The only changes I did are the parsley and onion springs instead of cilantro (impossible to find here), the flaxseed and cornstarch instead of the eggs (but if you are not vegan, you can use them) and I added some ground nuts to give them more texture, which was a good idea (try different nuts, or a mix of them)

I absolutely loved the result, and encourage you to try them. Nevertheless, I think next time I will try this recipe with veggies in the patty: shredded carrot burgers sound great, doesn’t it? Of course, you have the recipe translated to Spanish too. Enjoy it!

2 1/2 cups sprouted garbanzo beans (chickpeas) OR canned garbanzos, drained and rinsed
4 large eggs *I substituted it por 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed beated with 2 tablespoons of water and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 onion, chopped
Grated zest of one large lemon
1 cup micro sprouts, chopped (try brocolli, onion, or alfalfa sprouts - optional)*I didn't use because I hadn't
1 cup toasted (whole-grain) bread crumbs
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (or clarified butter)
A handful of ground nuts *option (that was was my addition)

If you are using sprouted garbanzos, steam them until just tender, about 10 minutes. Most of you will be using canned beans, so jump right in and combine the garbanzos, eggs (*ground flaxseeds in my case), and salt in a food processor. Puree until the mixture is the consistency of a very thick, slightly chunky hummus. Pour into a mixing bowl and stir in the cilantro(*or spring onion or parsley), onion, zest, sprouts and nuts if used.

Add the breadcrumbs, stir, and let sit for a couple of minutes so the crumbs can absorb some of the moisture (*I recommend to let it sit for 15 minutes) At this point, you should have a moist mixture that you can easily form into twelve 1 1/2-inch-thick patties. You can always add more bread crumbs a bit at a time to firm up the dough if need be. Conversely, a bit of water or more egg can be used to moisten the batter.

Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium low, add 4 patties, cover, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, until the bottoms begin to brown. Turn up the heat if there is no browning after 10 minutes. Flip the patties and cook the second side for 7 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the skillet and cool on a wire rack while you cook the remaining patties. Carefully cut each patty in half, insert your favorite fillings, and enjoy immediately.

Makes 12 mini burgers.


................................................

Spanish version:


La hamburguesa vegetal final
2 1/2 tazas garbanzos germinados o cocidos y escurridos
4 huevos *yo lo substituí por una cucharada de semillas de lino molidas mezcladas con dos cucharadas de agua y una cucharada de maicena (harina de maíz)
1/2 cucharaditas de sal fina
1/3 taza cilantro fresco, picado *yo usé dos cucharadas de cebollino picado y perejil
1 cebolla, picada
Ralladura de un limón
1 taza de germinados (prueba de  brócoli, cebolla o alfalfa) *yo no usé porque no tenia
1 taza de pan rallado (integral)
1 cucharada de aceite de oliva
Un puñado de nueves molidas *opcional (esto fue incorporación mía)

Si usas garbanzos germinados, cuécelos al vapor hasta que estén tiernos, unos 10 minutos. La mayoría de vosotros estará usando garbanzos cocidos, así que combina directamente los garbanzos, los huevos (*las semillas de lino en mi caso) y la sal en un robot de cocina. Hazlo puré hasta que la mezcla tenga la consistencia de un hummus espeso, con tropezones. Échalo en un bol y añade el cilantro (*o el cebollino o perejil, ), la cebolla, la ralladura, los germinados y las nueces si las utilizas. Añade el pan rallado, remueve y deja reposar durante unos minutos para que el pan absorba algo humedad (*yo recomiendo dejarlo uno 15 minutos).

En este momento, tendrías que tener una mezcla húmeda que puedas moldear fácilmente en doce hamburguesas.  Siempre puedes añadir más pan rallado poco a poco para endurecer la masa si fuera necesario. Al contrario, un poco de agua o más huevo puede ser usado para humedecer la masa.

Calienta el aceite en una sartén gruesa a fuego medio, añade 4 hamburguesas, cubre, y cocina durante 7 o 10 minutes, hasta que la parte de abajo empiece a dorarse. Sube el fuego si no se han dorad al cabo de 10 minutos. Gira las hamburguesas y cocina por el otro lado durante 7 minutes, o hasta que se doren. Retira de la sartén y deja enfriar en una rejilla mientras cocinas las hamburguesas restantes. Corta cuidadosamente cada hamburguesa en dos, inserta tu relleno favorito y saborea inmediatamente.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These look so good - I love veggie burgers and one can never have enough recipes. Good luck job hunting!